Learn how to partition windows HDD
The advantages of partitioning your drive include
- Increased data security : Since your data is now on another partition, your data is less likely to be affected in case of system failure. It is much easier to back up your crucial files and it's convenient to store that data in a different place.
- Formatting convenience : If you needed to format, you do not have to copy your data out first since it resides on another partition. You can just format your operating system partition without having your files lost.
- Improved performance : Hard drives usually work better on small chunks of data rather than big partition. You can defragment your operating system drive for maximum performance.
- Multiple operating system : Having more than one partitions may require the need of having multiple operating systems. Each operating system needs a separate partition of its own
Few advantages of partitioning your hard drive
- Reduced space
- Slower data moves
Hard drive partition guarantees security to data. The advantages it offers are great compared to its disadvantages. Wrong steps can result to disk corruption. I hope you find this useful.
- Press WIN+R, then type “diskmgmt.msc” and click Ok. Look carefully to avoid touching the System reserved
- Right click on the drive you wish to create a new partition and click Shrink Volume...
- Enter memory size you wish to create in kilobytes. 1MB = 1024kb. Then click Shrink
- A free space is now created with a green colored top border. Right click on it and click New Simple Volume. Follow the simple volume wizard. Enter the simple volume size in MB, assign any available drive letter (E, K, Z etc). Click next
- Replace "New volume" with your desired name. Click next
- Click finish to complete the partitioning.
You will see your new drive name with label eg. Chuks(E).
Any questions, comment below.