Hi, I don’t know whether you have been wondering what really a dual boot system is. Having two operating systems installed on your computer and choosing between them at boot time is known as Dual booting. You can have Mac OS X or any Linux distro (Ubuntu, Archlinux, Linux Mint, Korora…) installed alongside Windows 8 or 10 on the same computer. You can as well install multiple operating system into your computer system provided that its specifications are worth the task. Having more than one operating system allows you to experiment how different operating systems differ, relates. It also let you have full exploitation of your hardware – Speed, memory, environment.
Your computer’s operating system is generally installed on its internal hard drive. When you boot your computer from the hard drive, the boot loader boots the installed operating system. By partitioning your hard drive into several different partitions, you can have one different partitions for different operating systems. This can be referred to as a kind of memory devotion. Learn how to partition your windows drive. When you install a Linux distro, it typically installs the Grub boot loader. This grub boot loader has greater priority than Windows boot loader i.e. it loads instead of the Windows boot loader allowing you to choose the operating system you want to boot.
You don’t just remove a sub operating system by deleting its partition from the disk management. Otherwise, it throws a grub rescue exception and your Grub boot loader won’t boot your computer to the desktop. This indicates a missing boot loader and system files.
– Recovery drive or system restore disk. Learn how to create a recovery drive
– Windows 8 or 10
- Press WIN+R, then type “diskmgmt.msc” and click ok.
- Delete your Linux or Mac OS X partition from your disk management. Either extend it to other drive or create a new partition Learn how to delete partition.
- Plug your recovery media (USB flash drive).
- Reboot into recovery. Learn how to reboot into recovery.
- Click on Repair your computer
- On the choose an option screen, click on Troubleshoot
- On the Advanced options that displayed, click on Command Prompt
- A command prompt windows displays, then type the following command and press Enter “bootrec.exe/fixmbr“.
You can now restart your computer. It will now boot from its hard drive. I hope everything now works good. Your Linux or Mac OS X traces has gone, No grub rescue exception again. You can use this method to troubleshoot your computer anytime it malfunctions.
Any complaint, just comment below.
I’m passionate about helping people solve technical challenges on Android and social media apps. I work as a web designer with keen interest on how design and experience influences users. I talk about influencing business at thepassionateboss.com. Feel free to connect me on social media.