Last Updated on December 14, 2020
It is really annoying seeing your Facebook Messenger’s chats clustered with your normal SMS text messages on Messenger app.That is why a lot of people needed to turn off Messenger as their default sms app.
Messenger being set as your default text messaging app didn’t just start combining your text messages into Messenger app, you once gave it the permission to read SMS on Messenger.
In order to disable Messenger as default SMS app, it is very easy and straightforward. We have outlined the below steps to help walk-you-through to turning off Messenger as your default SMS app.
Steps to turn off Messenger as default SMS app
- Open Messenger app (Make sure that you’re using an updated version from Play Store)
- Tap on your profile icon at the top right corner.
- From the next screen that shows up, scroll down and tap on SMS
- Slide off the toggle to turn off Messenger SMS feature
- From the next screen that shows up, tap TURN OFF SMS
- Then Tap on GO TO SETTINGS
- Choose the first option which is Default messaging app
- Under Default messaging app, change from Messenger to Messages or any other messaging app of your choice.
- Now go back and see that Messenger SMS feature has been turned off successfully.
RECOMMENDED GUIDE – How to view ignored messages on Messenger
How to prevent turning on Messenger as default SMS app
When you try to login back to Messenger, be careful of what button to press. Whenever you a prompt like “Read SMS in Messenger“, kindly choose NOT NOW. That way you have prevented messages being intercepted and read on Messenger.