Last Updated on December 14, 2020
Facebook friend suggestions is a way their system helps users to extend who they know on Facebook. There are many forms in which Facebook can show one friend suggestions even when you have no mutual friends in common.
The many ways you may see Facebook friend suggestions are
- Through friends of friends. They are the friends to your friends on Facebook.
- People that share same interest with you on Pages. People that like and follow the same page as you. If you like Rihanna’s page on Facebook, there’s a chance that the other person following the same Rihanna page has some common interest because you both follow Rihanna.
- People that share the same group as you. If you joined many groups, Facebook may randomly show you other people as Facebook friend suggestions because you share same interest in a community.
- People you have uploaded from your contact. Facebook has a feature that uploads your phone contacts once you have given them the access to it.
- People who are new on Facebook. Facebook encourages new accounts to be seen in other to be added. This may have no mutual friends with you.
Most Facebook friend suggestions are based on having friends in common. If you see a suggestion with no mutual friends, keep in mind that some people have their friends list set to private. This means that some suggestions who are friends of friends may not show the friends you have in common.
Recommended Article: How to hide one’s Facebook friend list
How to remove Facebook Friend suggestions
If you see people you don’t want to be friends with, tap Remove next to their name. Removing unhelpful suggestions helps us give you better People You May Know suggestions.
There’s no tool to completely stop friend suggestions at the moment. You can only remove them manually.
If you don’t want to show up in someone else’s People You May Know suggestions, you can block them.