Last Updated on December 14, 2020
Yet to understand USB – On The Go, OTG?
USB OTG allows you extend your Android device internal memory capacity by simply plugging it (a peripheral somehow like a flash drive) onto your OTG supported Android phone. It looks exactly like flash but has both head/mouth and tail unlike flash drive. The mouth connects, like that of a flash drive, connects to your OTG supported Android device and the tail, like that of the tail of Android charger, to your PC. The whole arrangement of USB OTG is a typical blueprint of a connection between your Android device and PC using a USB cable.
USB- OTG vs OTG ADAPTER/CABLE?
|L: USB OTG R: USB OTG Adapter/Cable /©ChuksGuide|
Some USB OTG comes with either inbuilt memory capacity or a memory card slot. The built in type comes with specified memory capacity from 8GB to 64GB. But with other type, it only comes as an adapter that allows you to insert any memory card limit of your choice; 8GB, 16GB, 32GB,…,128GB as long as your device has the support for that memory extent. If your device supports OTG, you can insert a micro SD card or add an external hard drive to it via using an OTG adapter or OTG Cable.
OTG are plug and play peripheral device for Android. The inbuilt version of USB OTG is non-expandable as soon as the allocated memory is used up. You either delete or moves some files to free space. But, using OTG adapter or cable, you can expand memory space to fit in your desired memory.
There major differences are
- Expandable and non-expandable memory capacity
- Portability. Built in OTG is more portable since it requires no cable/adapter/sd card
- OTG adapter/cable extends connection to other external storage devices.
USB OTG Supported devices
- Google: Nexus 5 / 6 / 7 / 9 / 10
- Samsung: Galaxy S2 S3 S4 S5 Note 2 3 | Galaxy Note 8.0 Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition | Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 10.1 | Galaxy Note pro 12.2, Tab pro 12.2 / 10.1 / 8.4 | Galaxy Tab S 8.4 / 10.5 / 13.3
- Motorola: Moto G Phone | Xoom Tablet
- HTC: HTC One M7 M8
- Nokia: Lumia 2520 Tablet | Nokia 603 | Asha 300 | C6-01 | C7 E6 E7 | N8
- Toshiba: TG01 | encore
- Tesco: HUDL 7″ plus
- Acer: Iconia B1-720 | B1-730 HD | A1-830 | A1-840 FHD A1-810 | W3-810 | Memo Pad HD 7 / 10
- Lenove: Thinkpad 8 | IdeaTab A7-40, A7-30, A8-50, A10-7
- LG: G3 G Pad 8.3 7.0 8.0 10.1
- Sony: Xperia Z2 Miro/U/S/T/M/M2/SP/P/Z/Z1/Compact/Z2/Ultra/Z
- Dell: Venue 7 / 8 / 8 Pro
- Infinix Hot series, Tecno Camon series, Gionee M5, M6,…
This list is no where to accommodate huge number of OTG supported devices. To check if your device is OTG supported, install USB OTG CHECKER from Play Store.
If USB OTG Checker fails, don’t be left alone. Go to mobile accessory store to physically test any OTG before buying.
I would recommend this USB OTG Cable for you.
[review] [content title=”Summary” label=”Overall Score”]Micro USB Host OTG Adapter Cable works well with all Android devices with custom ROM/Kernel that support USB Host mode. It allows mobile phones to act as a host allowing a USB Flash Drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached and devices to talk to each other without requiring the services of a personal computer [/content] [item value=”9″]Reliability[/item] [item value=”8″]Perfomance[/item] [item value=”10″]Design[/item] [item value=”7″]Ease of Function[/item] [item value=”9″]Hardware[/item] [/review]