Last Updated on December 8, 2022
WhatsApp Community shares similarity with Slack. In Slack, it each workspace has child channels. This is exactly the same with WhatsApp community. In this post, I will explain to you how you can create WhatsApp Community
What is WhatsApp Community?
Before you start, make sure that your WhatsApp is updated to the latest version. Else, community tab will not be available. Also, if you cannot see the community tab even after updating your WhatsApp, it means that the feature is not yet available in your country.
Now, you must have access to WhatsApp groups that you would like to create a community of. What WhatsApp Community means is managing a subgroup in a parent group – community.
Let’s say you work in a company or happen to be the HR.
Firstly, your company must have had WhatsApp groups for its departments – Marketing, Sales, HR, Finance, Customer service, Tech etc.
Then you would create a community to add all these departmental groups to it. At the end of the day, there will be a parent announcement group that has access to all the members in all the groups in a community.
With this announcement broadcast channel or group, you can send a message to every member in your community. You can create multiple WhatsApp communities in one WhatsApp account
How to create WhatsApp Community?
- Open your WhatsApp app on iPhone or Android
- Click on the community tab or Click the New chat icon
- Click New Community and follow the prompts
- Enter the name you want to use for the community, description, and profile photo.
Members should be able to get a sense of what your community is all about from your description.
By tapping the Camera icon, you can add a community icon. To add an image, select Take Photo, Choose Photo, or Search Web. Once set, the icon will appear in the Chats tab next to the community. Tap Next to add existing groups or to start a new one.
To add groups to your community, do the following:
- Tap Add Existing Group or Create New Group.
- Create New Group: Enter the subject of the group. This will be the group name that all participants will see.
- You can add up to ten new groups.
- You can include a group icon and a brief description of the group.
- Participants can be added later.
- Add Existing Group: You have the option of adding groups in which you are currently an administrator to your community. Tap Next after selecting which groups to add.
- When you’re done adding groups to your community, click Create.
- In addition to the announcement group, you can add up to 50 groups.
- A community announcement group can have up to 5,000 members.